What is a Tooth Implant?
Through injury, decay, root damage, gum disease, or chronic wear you may lose teeth. A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is fixed to your jawbone. A replacement tooth or bridge is fitted to the dental implant that looks and functions normally. Dental implants are a great way to replace your missing teeth.
The two types of implants we can place are called endosteal and subperiosteal. The endosteal implants are surgically placed directly into the jawbone. The subperiosteal involves a metal frame that is attached to the jawbone just beneath the gum.
Benefits of Implant Dentistry
- Successful: The success rate of dental implant restorations is very high. Depending on where in the jaw the implants are placed dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%.
- Looks Great: Dental implants look just like the rest of your teeth. Implant patients experience a huge boost in confidence thanks to the improvement in their appearance and bite function.
- A Permanent Solution: Compared to other restorative options such as bridges and dentures, dental implants are stronger and longer lasting. With proper care, implants can last a lifetime.
- Natural: A dental implant looks and feels like a normal tooth. They are a safe and natural looking way to replace lost teeth, without making it obvious you’ve had a procedure done.
- Easy Maintenance: Dental implants don’t decay and they are easy to clean.
- All You Can Eat: You can eat the foods you love because the dental implant is anchored to your jaw.
- Protects Your Jaw From Bone Loss: When you are missing teeth, the surrounding jawbone begins to deteriorate. When bone loss begins, the shape of your face begins to change, causing you to look prematurely aged. An implant can prevent this from happening and can even return the shape and structure to your face once you’ve experienced bone loss.
- Secures Dentures and Bridges: Using implants to secure dentures to your mouth means you don’t have to take them out to clean. False teeth stay securely in place, while you eat what you wish without complications.
- No Slurred Words: If you have dentures or bridges, then you know that false teeth can become loose, causing you to slur your words, and experience some embarrassment. Not if you secure your dentures or bridges with implants! Dental implants will stay snugly in place and you will have full control of your words again.
- No More Damage: Dental Implants don’t affect surrounding teeth.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The entire dental implant procedure, from diagnosis to dental implant placement to the crown restoration, is all performed in our Denver area office on Lincoln Avenue in Lone Tree. This is not only convenient, it also provides implant dentistry patients with a continuity of care that can get lost when going from one office to another.
There are several steps to the dental implant procedure that happen over a period of time:
- During your first meeting with us, we will provide you with a consultation, discuss your options and determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. A treatment plan will be created and x-rays may be taken.
- To fit the dental implant, a tiny hole is drilled where there is no tooth. This hole guides a small titanium rod into the jawbone. This procedure is done by an oral surgeon, who we have as part of our skilled team. This means you can have the entire dental implants procedure done at our comfortable, convenient office.
- On top, a protective cover screw is placed to allow the site to heal. Over a period of several months (usually 3-6 months), the implant site heals and the dental implant anchors to the bone through a process of osseointegration.
- When the site has healed, the protective cover is removed by your implant dentist right here in our implant dentistry office in Lone Tree and a temporary crown is placed on the dental implant.
- When the gum grows and shapes itself naturally around the temporary dental crown, a permanent porcelain crown will replace the temporary crown.
- Your porcelain crown now functions like a normal tooth. Although the dental implant cannot form cavities, it is recommended to continue good oral hygiene to protect the surrounding area.
Denver dentists Drs. Adam Almeida and Paul Bell skillfully position the dental crown or permanent tooth after our onsite oral surgeon places the dental implant. You no longer need to worry about missing teeth. Dental implants can restore your full smile, beautifully, effectively and permanently!
Missing several teeth? Visit our Implant Supported Dentures page to see if it could be the solution for you.
Missing or Damaged Teeth? Schedule an Implant Dentistry Consultation in Lone Tree!
To learn more about how dental implants can help you, call our Almeida and Bell Aesthetic Dental Center implant dentistry office today in Lone Tree, next to Highlands Ranch, CO, at 303-858-9000 or send the simple form on this page, and we will be glad to contact you.