Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely widespread, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal problems, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Almeida & Bell Aesthetic Dental Center, we educate our patients about how to keep their tooth enamel strong and prevent continued erosion if some has already occurred.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Too-forceful brushing can damage enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent continued erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call Almeida & Bell Aesthetic Dental Center today at 303-858-9000 to schedule an examination. Drs. Almeida will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.
Contact Almeida & Bell Aesthetic Dental Center:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):