Periodontal disease, typically called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. This condition is so common in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated.
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease creates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, it is critical to see your dentist regularly. To schedule a periodontal disease exam, call Almeida & Bell Aesthetic Dental Center today at 303-858-9000 or visit https://www.almeidadental.com/.
“Periodontal Disease Affects Nearly Half of the U.S. Population,” American Dental Association, June 15, 2015, http://www.ada.org/en/science-research/science-in-the-news/periodontal-disease-affects-nearly-half-us-population, accessed June 6, 2017
Contact Almeida & Bell Aesthetic Dental Center:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):